August 4, 2009

Miscellaneous


Maybe I should rename this blog, "Garden, Dinner, and Family," since all of my posts recently seem to deal with these topics. Here are some snapshots of my life recently that focus on those topics.

When I was home in early June, we celebrated Poppop's 89th birthday. Here he is with three of his favorite things: a digital camera, cake and hot tea.

Recently, we picked up the farmshare that normally belongs to the "Brown girls" (because they went to Brown) who live down the street. One part of an incredible meal we made from all the fresh produce was this appetizer, inspired by the cooking class Maggie and I attended on July 24th. It's swiss chard sauteed in olive oil and garlic over Tuscan Wheat bread from When Pigs Fly (bakery down the street), topped with garlic + olive oil goat cheese from The Dairy Bar (right next to When Pigs Fly). Mmmm.

One hot day last weekend, Maggie and I decided that fruit smoothies were in order. We wanted to be as cool as possible, so we decided to transform the smoothies into popsicles, which we froze in small plastic cups, with plastic cutlery as popsicle sticks. They were as tasty as they are funny looking, and we still have two in the freezer!

I couldn't finish without a garden update. This is the haul from a few weeks back: seven huge cucumbers, and two nice-sized zucchini squash. This abundance of produce so impressed me that I couldn't help but shout:

Success!!

No comments: