December 26, 2008

Way Overdue

Maggie has already posted a summary-in-pictures of our Thanksgiving weekend in South Jersey, but I'd like to spend the next few posts focusing on various parts. The first one is devoted to Plasticville.

One of my dad's great delights was setting up the trains he'd played with as a child (Lionel gage O), as well as the miniature town that went with them. 



Over the years, he acquired new buildings and eventually another antique train (American Flyer), as well as more track and things like switches (just like in real life!). 



Part of the point was to entertain children, starting with me as soon as I was old enough to operate the trains. This entailed wearing the conductor's hat and scarf, and pushing the dial on the control evenly and cautiously. 



When I was old enough, I was allowed to help him design the track layout and put together buildings. This fall, my dad's niece and nephew (Sandi and David) and their respective families got the process started. Upon our arrival, Maggie and I worked with my mom to get everything up and running.  The goal was to have Plasticville - the name of the miniature town - completely constructed by the time we left. 




I didn't think we could do it, but again, Sandi and David and families provided reinforcements. By late Saturday morning, this is what the town looked like:

Commercial/Industrial Zones

Close-up of homes and school


See if you can find the farm, the airport, the house under construction, the two signal towers, the custard stand, the trailer park . . . 

No comments: